Certified Nursing Assistant
DONALDSON – Ancilla College is offering an additional class in health sciences starting this spring. Students can now enroll in a Certified Nursing Assistant course.
After passing the Indiana State Health Department CNA test, Certified Nursing Assistants are state certified to become a nurse’s aid in long-term care facilities, home health and hospice groups, and assisted living facilities. To qualify, all you need is to pass a physical, a drug screen and a background check. A high school diploma is not required. The program consists of thirty-two hours of classroom work and seventy-five hours of clinical work. The course will meet Monday and Wednesday nights from 6-10 p.m. starting Feb. 2. Clinical hours take place on Saturdays from 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. After completing the required coursework and clinical hours, students will take the state certification exam.
Beth Bailey, Instructor of Nursing, will teach the class. She explains, “Good CNA’s are in high demand. This is a quick way to start a new career in healthcare. CNA careers offer a wide variety of shifts and full time hours with benefits are often available.”
According to Nursegroups.com, in 2008, CNA positions in Indiana averaged $11.34/hour with higher pay for nights and weekends. The market has a steady demand for these positions so employment outlook is strong for CNA’s.
Those interested should contact Rhonda Arvesen, Secretary for the Department of Nursing & Health Sciences, at 574-936-8898 Ext. 327. Applications are due Monday, Jan. 26, 2015.The class costs $800 and payment arrangements can be made with the business office at Ancilla. Students looking for financial assistance can contact Deb at WorkOne in Plymouth. She can be reached at 574-936-8919. The state certification exam costs $75 after completion of the program.
Ancilla College (www.ancilla.edu) is a Catholic, liberal arts, Associate’s Degree college in Donaldson, Indiana, sponsored by the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ.
You will need:
- Clothing — Nursing scrubs (available in the Ancilla bookstore)
- Age Requirement – You should be at least 18 years old. You should be able to present your certificate of birth and/or other sources of identification and verification of your date of birth.
- GED or High School Diploma – A high school diploma or a GED is suggested, but not required for admission to Ancilla’s CNA program.
- Medical Clearance – The CNA program requires exposure to patients in an actual medical facility
- You need to be physically able to assist people and have validation of required immunizations/vaccines including a TB test.
- Criminal background check. Ancilla College uses Certified Background for your background screen.
- Pass a drug screening test.