Placement Testing for Bridge Nursing Program Admission
Being admitted into the nursing program requires placement testing. There are two different nursing programs at Ancilla College: the LPN bridge program and the ASN program.
They require different tests.
ASN students must complete the HESI A2 . It has 10 sections: Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Vocab, Anatomy, Math, and Essay with a minimum prerequisite score and Biology, Chemistry, Learning Styles and Personality Styles with no minimum prerequisite score.
LPN Bridge students must complete the HESI A2 and the NURS 210 Specialty Exam.
For test example questions and details, click here. Please see personnel in the Center for Student Achievement office C-204 for testing and assistance.
The Ancilla college Nursing program has the following entrance test requirement levels.
- Anatomy & Physiology 75% **
- Math 75% **
- Reading Comprehension 75% **
- Vocabulary 75% **
- Grammar 75% **
- Writing Essay 9
- HESI NURS 210 Specialty Exam minimum score of 850.
** Placement scores between 75% and 85% on one or all of the indicated test(s) will require students to take NURS 010 Nursing Concepts. This course must be completed with a pass on the graded first attempt or the student will be administratively withdrawn from the nursing program and will be ineligible for re-admission.
The scores from the HESI A2 and NURS 210 tests will help you gain acceptance to the nursing program. It is better to over-study and pass the test the first time than to not study enough and need to retake it. The test fees are $35 for the HESI A2 and $50 for the NURS 210. Any retakes will cost $35 each, regardless of whether you retake one test section or the whole test for the HESI A2 and $50 for the NURS 210.
The test may be taken in separate sections, i.e. Math one week, Grammar the next week, and so on. You will only be charged the $35 for the entire test, not each test sitting. However, you must schedule each test sitting at least 5 business days in advance!
Ancilla College’s HESI A2 Testing Rules:
- Allow yourself ample time to take the test! You are allowed 6 hours to complete the test in one sitting; average time is 2-4 hours for all sections. However, there is a 2 hour time limit for taking the Essay section. You may use a dictionary for the Essay ONLY and a calculator for the Math.
- If you do not pass all sections on the first take of the test ($30 fee), you must retest. Any retakes will cost $35 each, regardless of whether you retake one test section or the whole test. Prior to testing the first time, we strongly recommend an in-depth review using the HESI A2 Study Guide available in the Ancilla College Bookstore ($30 approx. cost). Here is a link to a free online study guide.
- If you score below 75% on the first take for Grammar, Reading Comprehension, or Math, you will be required to use the Accuplacer diagnostic; this is a diagnostic test ($5 per section) that will pinpoint your areas of weakness for a particular subject. You will then be required to take the results of that test to an Ancilla College tutor and receive tutoring. Your tutoring sessions must be documented, and you can only resume testing after approval from a Center for Student Achievement staff member. You will then need to pay the $35 retake fee for HESI.
- If you score below an 80% on the first take any section, you are required to see a tutor before testing a second time. A signed note from the tutor is required and must be turned into a staff member in the Center for Student Achievement before testing a second time.
- If you fail the test on the second attempt, you will be advised to take the corresponding course(s) for remediation. You will also be unable to apply to the nursing program until the following year, with all rules in place for admission at that time. Passing scores are good for up to two years from testing the section passed date.
- Students may elect to re-test ONLY the section(s) in which they did not achieve a passing score, or they may re-test over all sections; however, only the most recent score will count towards the admissions process, not the highest score.
- Placement scores between 75% and 80% on one or more of the indicated test(s) will require students to take NR 010 Nursing Concepts. This course must be completed with a “pass” or the student will be administratively withdrawn from the Nursing Program and will be ineligible for re-admission.
NOTE: You, the student, are responsible for conveying printed score results to the Nursing Department (Office C-136). You are given two copies of your score(s) after completing the test session(s). One is for your records, and one is to turn in with your Nursing application. There will be a $5 charge for additional copies.
Scheduling note: It is important that you plan enough time to complete the A2; the test takes an average of 2.5 hours to complete. Fridays are the best days to take the A2. Appointments must be scheduled at least 5 days in advance.
If scores are not attained on the first attempt:
Please see personnel in the Center for Student Achievement. Learning styles and Personality styles are required with no minimum prerequisite.