Paying for College

Fafsa deadline has been extended – don’t miss out on state aid!

Click here to fill out your FAFSA at!

We want to help make a college degree from Ancilla College a reality for you!

There are wide varieties of ways to pay for your education and they all start with financial aid. We are the least expensive private college in Indiana and we offer extensive financial aid.

Start with the FAFSA

This is the beginning step for all financial aid including student loans. It’s very important and it’s free to fill out and submit!  Apply for federal student aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSASM).  And remember, the first F in “FAFSA” stands for “free”—you should never pay to fill out the FAFSA!

You should always fill out the FAFSA, even if you don’t think you’ll qualify for need-based financial aid. The information you provide helps us determine your eligibility for all sorts of programs that may help you pay for college.

Ancilla’s FAFSA school code is 001784.

Important note:  There is also no age limit for financial aid. Filling out the FAFSA is worthwhile for working adults who want to qualify for state or federal educational grants, scholarships and loans.

Expected Family Contribution – EFC

Eligibility for many financial aid programs is often determined by a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is a number derived from information submitted on the FAFSA. This calculation takes into account such factors as your adjusted gross income, non-taxable income, assets, and household size.

  • If a student is dependent (by FAFSA’s standards), the EFC is based on both student and parent information.
  • If a student is independent (again, by FAFSA’s standards), only the student’s—and, if applicable, their spouse’s—information is included in the EFC calculation.

Once the FAFSA processing system determines a student’s EFC, the EFC is provided to all the schools listed on the student’s FAFSA.

The EFC represents the amount that the federal government expects a student’s family should be able to pay towards the student’s education. However, the EFC is not a fixed amount that the family must pay Ancilla College, sometimes a family pays more than their EFC, and sometimes they pay less. It is better to view the EFC as a tool which helps us to determine the type of aid for which a student is eligible and enables us to create a student’s financial aid package.

This website –  FAFSA4Caster  – offers an Expected Family Contribution Calculator.  This calculator does not provide the amount of financial aid you may receive. Instead, it calculates an estimate of what a family is expected to contribute towards the student’s educational expenses for one academic year and helps you estimate financial need.

Ancilla College will create the best package possible for each of our students. Based on the student’s eligibility and fund availability financial aid may not cover the difference between the family’s EFC and the cost of attendance.

Types of Financial Assistance


Grants are financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund).

Work Study

Work study is a need-based work program at school through which you earn money to help pay for school.


Loans are borrowed money for college available to students and parents. You must repay your loans, with interest.

Note: The priority filing date for federal and state financial aid is April 15th (received-by date) for the following academic year. For deadlines and specific requirements visit the Financial Aid Office or check the Ancilla College Scholarships page.

Steps to receive financial aid at Ancilla

  • Students seeking financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Students whose FAFSA are chosen for verification of information and/or have conflicting information, must provide all requested information and documentation to the Financial Aid Office. No awards can be made until all information is reviewed, corrections made if needed, and the information is received back from the Central Processor.
  • Awards shall be made only after a student has been officially accepted for admission and has registered for classes.
  • Students must be pursuing a degree.
  • Students who qualify can receive financial aid for all classes to which credits are applied toward their degree.
  •  Students and/or parents seeking to borrow loans must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and all necessary loan application requirements.
  • Students must apply for aid each academic year regardless of whether or not they received aid in the previous year.
  • Transfer students and/or re-entry students who have attended another institution since their last semester at Ancilla College must submit final transcripts from all previously attended colleges. Financial aid cannot be paid for classes that were previously completed successfully, unless time limits on completion apply to the area of study.
  • Special Family Circumstances – Loss of income due to job layoff or business closure, death of an income provider, or unusually high medical expenses not covered by insurance cannot be shown on the FAFSA. The U.S. Department of Education does understand that many conditions could affect the financial circumstances of the family after the previous year’s taxes have been filed. A Special Circumstances Form may be requested from the Office of Financial Aid. A completed form, along with supporting documentation as shown on the form, is required for consideration.

specific financing options available

Federal Programs

Pell Grant
The Federal Pell Grant Program provides grants to undergraduate students who have financial need and meet the requirements for federal student aid assistance. Pell Grants require no repayment. Pell Grant recipients are able to receive up to the cap of 12 full-time semesters worth of Pell Grant awards during their undergraduate education career, based on financial eligibility.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program (SEOG)
The purpose of the SEOG program is to provide grants to exceptionally needy undergraduate students to help pay for postsecondary education. These grants are provided to a limited number of undergraduate students with financial need. Requires no repayment.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)
Through the Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program, undergraduate students may work part time to help pay for the cost of their education. Students must be enrolled at least half-time and have financial need as determined by the Department of Education. Work-study jobs are awarded to those who qualify by the Office of Financial Aid. Wages are paid semi-monthly. Job descriptions and the online application can be found here: Work Study Application.

The Federal Direct Stafford Student and Parent Loan Program 

Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans are available to students who demonstrate financial need. Because the U.S. Department of Education subsidizes the interest, borrowers are not charged interest while they are enrolled in school at least half time and during grace and deferment periods.

Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are available to students regardless of financial need. Borrowers are responsible for paying the interest that accrues.

A student may be eligible to receive both subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans, but the total of both loans must not exceed the federal loan limits. For more loan information and application steps contact the Financial Aid Office.

Direct PLUS Loans (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students): PLUS Loans allow parents to borrow on behalf of their dependent undergraduate students who are enrolled at least half time. As with unsubsidized Stafford loans, borrowers are responsible for the interest that accrues on PLUS Loans throughout the life of the loan.

Withdrawing from Ancilla College – Ancilla College Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4) Policy

Click Here to View

Indiana Financial Aid Programs

Students must file for state and federal financial aid by completing and submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on time according to the Indiana State guidelines. To be considered on time, the federal processor must receive the student’s completed FAFSA on or before March 10th of the year preceding the fall to which the awards are to be applied. Any updates or corrections to a FAFSA must be made on or before May 15th of the same year in order to clear any IN State “edits.”

Frank O’Bannon Grant (formerly the Indiana Higher Education Grant) Program: The Frank O’Bannon Grant is designed to provide access for Indiana resident students to attend any eligible participating college or university in Indiana. The grants, targeted to tuition and fees, are need-based and do not require repayment. The dollar value of state grants will vary from year to year. Full-time enrollment is required.

The Twenty-First Century Scholars Program is a needs- and performance program that provides students the opportunity to earn up to a four-year scholarship at an Indiana college or university.

Hoosier students who meet income criteria can enroll during their 7th- or 8th-grade year of middle school.  Students commit to maintaining academic success, remaining drug and alcohol free, and completing college-preparation activities.

Scholars are provided resources and assistance to help them plan and prepare form college and pay for expenses not covered by their scholarship.

Adult Student Grant  This program is designed to encourage part-time undergraduates to start and complete their Associate or Baccalaureate degrees or Certificates by subsidizing part-time tuition costs. It is specifically designed to help those students who are taking at least 6 but less than 12 credit hours per term at an eligible institution. The student must meet State residency requirements, have filed a FAFSA and otherwise qualify for state aid.  The Part-Time grant is a need-based award.  This grant requires no repayment.

The preceding items illustrate the major financial programs offered at Ancilla College. Students can inquire about additional information by contacting the Office of Financial Aid at Ancilla College in person, or by phone (574-936-8898).

Click this link < to file a complaint with the Indiana Commission for Higher.


Ancilla Verification Policy Click Here to View


Some FAFSA applications are randomly selected for a process called Verification.  Your application can be selected by the U.S. Department of Education or by Ancilla College.  In order to comply with this federal regulation additional information and/or documentation is needed from students and their parents (if dependent student). The FAFSA or Ancilla will make the determination on the students dependency status.


The following is required to complete Verification for student financial aid files:



Students and parents (if dependent student) must verify their tax information.  Tax information can be provided by completing one of the following processes:

  1. Using the IRS Data Retrieval tool
  2. Submitting a copy of your tax transcript from the IRS (copies of your tax return are not acceptable)

    Important Notes:

    • New or Transfer students:
      • Your Estimated Financial Aid Award Notification will indicate if you are required to complete verification and which documents are required to be submitted by you and/or your parents.
      • All financial aid is considered estimated until all required documentation and processes are complete.  No financial aid will be made available to students until all requirements are met.
    • Continuing or Re-entry students:
      • Please refer to your Verification Required Notification for more information concerning your verification requirements.
    • All students:
      • Your required documents are listed on your student information account. Click Empower Online Student Information Services for an information sheet outlining how to log into your student information account. If it will be the first time you have accessed the Student Information Services you will need to create an account. Once you have your account created follow the instruction under the heading of “To View Aid Award Letter, Missing Documents, or Billing”.
    • You may drop-off, fax, email, or mail the completed documents to the Office of Financial Aid. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00-4:30 Eastern Time. Our Fax number is 574-935-1773. Our mailing address Ancilla College, Office of Financial Aid, PO Box 1, Donaldson, IN 46511. You may also email the required documents to
    • Please complete and submit your required documents for verification as soon as possible.  The office of financial aid needs time to review the documents to insure the information on your FAFSA is accurate.  We recommend submission before July 15 of each year.


    standards of academic progress (SAP) policy for financial aid


    Click Here to View

    SAP Financial Aid Appeal Form

    refund policy

    Below are guides, information, and answers to some FAQs. If you still have questions and can’t find the answers you’re looking for here, please email us at and one of our faculty will be in touch with you!


    Ancilla College was named as one of the country’s “Military Friendly Schools” by GI Jobs Magazine five years is a row.

    You have served your country and we believe in you. Ancilla College is open to veterans and the families and we will work hard to reduce the time and hassle you may face at other institutions.

    One of the benefits of serving your country is access to veterans’ education programs that enable you to begin (or resume) your education after you have been discharged from active duty, or while serving in the reserves. Veterans attending Ancilla College may receive regular education compensation for which they may qualify through the Veterans Administration. Current Reservists may qualify for a portion of their tuition, fees and books to be paid through the Military Tuition Assistance Program. All military academic transcripts must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation of previous credits earned.

    Both the federal government and nonprofit organizations offer money for college to veterans, future military personnel, active duty personnel, or those related to veterans or active duty personnel.

    Chapter 33: The Post 9/11 program is available to qualifying veterans at Ancilla College. Students eligible for Post 9/11 benefits should submit their Certificate of Eligibility (COE), if available, to the Office of Financial Aid.

    If a Post 9/11 veteran is eligible for benefits at the 100% rate, Ancilla College participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. As part of the Yellow Ribbon Program, a veteran’s tuition and fees will be 100% covered at Ancilla College. The veteran may also be eligible for a book allowance, as well as a living/rent allowance.

    Need more information?  The Affordable Colleges Foundation has a detailed online guide to veteran’s educational benefits here: Veteran’s Guide to Paying for College. 

    Child of a veteran?

    An active-duty,post-9/11 service member may be eligible to transfer his/her benefits to a spouse or to children. Conditions for eligibility can be found at or from the Office of Financial Aid.

    Any veteran or student planning to receive or use any type of military benefits should schedule an appointment with the Director of Financial Aid to discuss possible benefits and prepare for certification of enrollment/attendance at Ancilla College. Veterans should plan on providing a copy of their DD214, NOBE, COE, or other relevant military paperwork to the College. Veterans should also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as they may also be eligible for federal, state, or institutional grants, awards, or loans. Any veteran or family member can find information at 

    You may be transferring in college credit

    Veterans should submit documentation of all prior military training and experience for evaluation and possible awarding of college credit. Veterans may obtain military transcripts at:

    Reservists Called to Active Duty

    Any student who is called to active duty may withdraw from all courses and receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees or with permission of instructor(s) receive an incomplete or final grade in the course taken. (Students must provide a copy of their orders along with a completed withdrawal forms.)

    Code of Conduct Related to Student Loan Activities


    Ancilla College, as a participant in the federal loan programs, is required to have a code of conduct applicable to the institution’s officers, employees, and agents.  The requirements are set forth in the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) signed into law August 2008.  In accordance with this requirement, Ancilla College has established the following code of conduct as related to student loan activities.


    No employee shall have a conflict of interest with respect to any education loan or other student financial aid for which the employee has responsibility. Employees may not process any transaction related to their own personal financial aid eligibility or that of a relative without review of said financial aid package by another financial aid/business office employee.


    Ancilla College has not, and will not in the future, enter into any revenue‐sharing arrangements with any lender. Revenue‐sharing arrangements include but are not limited to the institution recommending a specific lender or loan products in exchange for the lender paying a fee or providing other material benefits, including revenue or profit sharing, to the institution, officer, employee, or agent.


    Employees or their family members may not solicit and/or accept any gifts with a value of more than a de minimus amount from lenders, guarantors, or servicers of education loans.


    Employees who work in the Financial Aid Office or who have responsibilities related to education loans may not accept from any lender or lender affiliate any fees, payments, or other financial benefit as compensation (including the opportunity to purchase stock) for any type of consulting arrangement or other contract to provide services to a lender relating to education


    The College will not refuse to certify, or delay certification of, any loan based on the borrower’s choice of lender.

    Prohibition on Offers of Funds for Private LoansAncilla College does not request or accept from any lender an offer of funds to be used for private education loans in exchange for promises to the lender with regards to the number of
    loans certified, specific loan volume or preferred lender arrangement.


    The College will not permit a private educational lender to use the College’s name, emblem, logo or any other words, pictures or symbols associated with the College to imply endorsement of private education loans by that lender.


    The College will not request or accept from any lender any assistance with call center staffing or financial aid office staffing. However, nothing in this section prevents the College from accepting assistance from a lender or guarantor in regards to: professional development training for College staff, providing educational counseling materials, financial literacy materials or debt management materials to borrowers.


    No employee who serves on an advisory board, commission or group established by a lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors may receive anything of value from the previous listed entities in return for that service.


    Expenses incurred while attending professional association meetings, conferences, or in connection with service on an advisory board or commission must be paid by the College. Payment for entertainment expenses may also not be accepted from any lender, guarantor or servicer. Meals offered as part of meetings, conferences, professional development activities or other events may be accepted if all participants in the meeting or event are offered the meals, or if the meals are included as part of the registration fee.

    We understand there are a lot of questions when you're looking into college and continued education.

    We’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions and answers for your convenience below.

    Should I apply for financial aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

    If you think you will need help paying for your studies, you should apply. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available from the Financial Aid Office or you can apply electronically using FAFSA at

    How can I tell if I make too much money to qualify?

    The calculation that determines eligibility for aid is complicated. There is no clear income ceiling. The only way to find out for sure is to apply.

    How is my financial need determined?

    A standard analysis is used to determine financial need. The amount you are expected to contribute (the expected family contribution or EFC) is calculated based on the information reported on your FAFSA. The Office of Financial Aid can determine eligibility after receiving your FAFSA results.

    What if I have unusual circumstances or my situation changes after I apply for aid?

    Contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if the changes affect your eligibility for assistance. You may request a Special Circumstances Form to complete.

    Special Conditions Form – Student

    Special Conditions Form – Parent

    What kinds of documents may the school request to verify the information on my application?

    The financial aid staff may ask you to provide documents to verify any item on the application. Make sure you keep a photocopy of your completed federal tax returns and W-2s used to complete the application. Ancilla College must verify any application information that has been selected for this process. The student or parent should provide the necessary information immediately upon being notified. It is a federal requirement, not a college choice, that no financial aid awards can be processed until verification is complete.

    Are loans really financial aid?

    Yes. Financial aid is any funding that assists you in paying for your education. Without loans, many students would not be able to afford a college education. Educational loans generally have low interest rates, deferment and repayment provisions that allow students flexibility when it comes time to repay the loan. One of the long-term benefits of your education will be increased earnings, and dollars borrowed now to pay for your education are repaid with those increased earnings.

    Once I received my financial aid award letter, the values changed from my estimated award letter. Why?

    There are a number of circumstances that could have an effect on your final vs. estimated award letter. Examples:

    • Verification of your application and errors were corrected.
    • Failure to maintain academic progress.
    • Notification after your award of outside aid such as a scholarship.
    • Not enrolling for the required number of hours to receive aid through programs previously awarded.

    These are some of the more common examples of things that could change your award letter. Most importantly, final awards are based on your actual enrollment status. The amount on your estimated award letter is made assuming that you will enroll full time at 15 credits per term. If you enroll less than that, your awards could be reduced accordingly.

    My parents are divorced. My father claims me on his taxes, but I live with my mother. Whose information should I use when completing the FAFSA?

    Give information about the parent you lived with most in the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give information about the parent who provided you the most financial support during the last 12 months or during the most recent year you received support.

    Can I borrow less on my Stafford Loan than the amount listed on the award letter?

    Yes. If you have already applied for the loan notify the financial aid office immediately if you wish to change a loan value. We encourage students and parents to not borrow full loan values if at all possible.

    When will I receive my student financial aid overpayment check?

    After all the paperwork has been completed for your student loans and grants if you qualified, two things need to happen before you will receive your check. First, the Business Office must receive your money from the bank and federal government. Once the Business Office has received your money, it can be credited to your student account. Second, the proceeds must create a credit after all fees are paid. A check of that credit (overpayment) will be issued to you in the value of that credit. This check usually is issued the sixth or seventh week of class.

    Why did I not qualify for federal or state grants?

    Some of the more common reasons are: Both federal and state grants are determined on a family financial need basis. The federal and state calculation reflects you did not have adequate financial need.

    How did I get the Indiana grant and what do I do with it?

    If you filled out the FAFSA and marked that you are a resident of Indiana then the information was sent to the Indiana Commission. You do not have to do anything with it as long as the grant is for the correct college. The college will be notified and will credit your account if you are eligible. The grant can only be used for tuition.

    Do I have to pay back federal or state grants?

    No, the grant is “free” money, but you must maintain the required enrollment. If you drop classes or withdraw completely, your federal or state grant can be reduced or withdrawn, even after the college has applied it to your bill.

    I have more questions, how do I contact Ancilla College’s Financial Aid department?

    We are here to help! Please contact our office by emailing Someone will get back to you shortly.


    Ancilla College is a liberal arts institution of higher learning sponsored by the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ and is part of The Center at Donaldson. The college’s religious tradition is Roman Catholic; its climate, ecumenical. In a caring environment, Ancilla serves a diverse population, as we transform and empower students to achieve high academic goals, lifelong learning, successful careers and values-centered lives.


    Ancilla College, founded in 1937, is a private, Catholic, not-for-profit, two-year college offering over two dozen associate degree programs. Students from 12 states and 15 countries live and learn at Ancilla.

    20097 9B Road,
    Plymouth, IN, 46563.

    Call toll-free: 1.866.ANCILLA (866) 262-4552 or (574) 936-8898.


    Copyright © 2021 The Trustees of Ancilla College

    Ancilla College